Laboratory of Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology
To prospect the futuristic view of environmental changes, our laboratory investigates the history and process of surface landform/geological development during the Quaternary period (the last 2–3 million years). The followings are some topics of our studies.
- 1) Reconstruction of geomorphological/geological phenomena during the Quaternary with accuracies of 105–101 years
- 2) Study on volcanic products (tephra) and explosive eruption history in and around the Japanese Islands
- 3) Investigation on production–transport–depositional processes of sediment particles
- 4) Study on coastal–deep marine sediment for estimation of natural hazard history and influence of human activity to natural environment
- 5) Reconstruction of earthquake recurrence interval and fault activity induced from landform and sediment
- 6) Investigation on marine/fluvial terraces for reconstruction of landform development and crustal movement during the last 105 years