||Coastal and Ocean Engineering
Our research interests include nonlinear wave theories, internal waves, sediment-laden flow, and turbulence in wave and current fields. We are particularly interested in the behavior of the Eulerian-mean flow change due to interaction between waves and a current.
- PIV measurements for rear-end and head-on collisions of solitary waves
- Mean velocity changes due to interaction between bichromatic waves and a current
- Changes in turbulent flow structure under combined wave-current motions
- PIV and PTV measurements of particle velocities and trajectories for Stokes waves following a steady current
- Partial standing waves due to a wave and current interaction and the amount of irregular-wave overtopping at a seawall
- PIV techniques for velocity fields of internal waves over a slowly varying bottom topography
- Particle image velocimetry measurements for Stokes progressive internal waves
- Shore protection to accelerative sea level rise and hypothetical tropical cyclone under El Nino weather pattern in small island states
- Floating cities as a solution to the escalating sea level rise in lower-lying land areas
- Study of saline water intrusion in Red River, Vietnam
- Study of water movement and quality in Ha Long Bay,Vietnam
Titles of master theses and doctoral dissertations
- Experimental studies on rear-end and head-on collisions of two unequal solitary waves and interactions of a single solitary wave with a current using PIV.
- Theoretical and experimental analyses of roll-wave overtopping on a vertical wall using numerical model with PLIC (Picewise Linear Interface Calculation) and VOF (Volume of Fluid) methods.
- Numerical analysis on sediment transport mechanism near Hai Phong Port using the Coupled Ocean-Atmosphere-Wave-Sediment Transport Modeling System.
- Kinematical investigation of rear-end and head-on collisions of two unequal solitary waves using PIV.
- * Visualization and numerical analyses for mass transport due to internal waves propagating in a diffusive transition layer of the density-stratified water.
- * Influence of changes in topography, tides and freshwater discharge on salinity distribution in a deltaic estuarine system.
*: Doctoral dissertation
Titles of bachelor theses
- Measurement of wave and current co-existing velocity field using PIV and study of physical aspects for a single solitary wave using some tiny pressure transducers.
- Experimental study on wave overtopping rate during Stokes-wave attack using electro-magnetic current meter on the top of vertical structure.
- On dynamic pressure distribution under Stokes waves just before wave breaking.
- Stability of floating structure and optimization design method of unite modules.
- Changes in Eulerian-mean velocity under combined wave-current motions.
- Experimental investigation on phase shifts after head-on collisions of two solitary waves with different amplitudes in a long wave tank.
- Development of numerical model based on the SPH method and application of wave overtopping problem for solitary waves.
- Super-resolution PIV measurements for rear-end and head-on collisions of two solitary waves.
- Two dimensional numerical investigation of solitary-like tsunami wave interactions using VOF.